The statistics are clear. When an employee is motivated, they are:
- 31% more productive
- 87% less likely to quit
And 70% of an employee’s motivation is influenced by his or her manager. The same could be said for parenting. So, since motivation is so important, how do we motivate the people around us?
- Vision is the best motivational technique. It brings meaning to the mundane.
- Our “why” reminds us of our purpose, no matter what it is that we are doing.
Do this quick assessment: What areas do you lack motivation or passion in? Your marriage, your parenting, your job?
Now, start by remembering the “why.” Why did you get married to your spouse? Why were you so excited to start a family and have kids? What benefits are your job providing?
“The leader of the past may have been a person who knew how to tell, but certainly the leader of the future will be a person who knows how to ask.” -Peter Drucker Click to tweet
What is one leadership skill that you feel is very underrated? Be thinking about that…we’ll come back to it in a moment, because I’d love to hear what you think.
In this leadership training session, I share my thoughts on one of the most underrated leadership skills. One that is often overlooked, but incredibly powerful when developed and utilized. And I learned more about it by reading Bob Tiede’s newest book, “Now That’s a Great Question”
- Are you a benevolent dictator? Are you likable and kind, but making things all about you?
- Great leaders ask questions. This helps your team think for themselves instead of relying on your opinion all the time. And that produces great results in the long run.
- A few favorite quotes:
- “Bob’s 4 most favorite questions: What do you think? What else? What else? What else?”
- “Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person, they are almost indistinguishable.” -David Augsburger
- “Telling creates resistance. Asking creates relationships.” -Andrew Sobel
- Great leaders build influence through relationships.
What is one leadership skill that you feel is very underrated? Share your thoughts in the comments below, or join the conversation on social media. You can find us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook & Instagram.
Over the last week I’ve shared some exciting news. We have formed the Shawn Welch Company, which exists to equip organizations, leaders, and their teams for maximum influence.
I’ve also shared some of the new services we are providing to help support and equip organizations for success. If you missed those videos, check out the links in the Resources section below.
Today, I’m sharing a new resource that we have for aspiring leaders like yourself.
“The only person holding you back is you. No more excuses. It’s time to change.” -Tony Robbins Click to tweet
Check out our latest highlight of what the Shawn Welch Company can do to help equip leaders like you for maximum influence.